Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Year - New Motto

As we ring in the New Year it is a great time to reflect back on the year that was, both on a personal level as well as my creative journey. I find it tricky at times to balance my crafty life with my family and uni schedule - but I manage somehow.

Some highlights were:

  • My planner. I LOVED making my day to day look so pretty!
  • Getting two long term WIP quilts finished. 
  • Creating more crochet items and even selling a few things.
  • Beginning to play with other forms of creative expression: ie water-colours, lettering etc
  • Working on Project Life
  • Using up more stash on various projects
  • Gaining a new Craft Hub.
So what do I want to do for 2016?
Last year I had a whole list of New Year's resolutions that I wanted to achieve. I achieved NOTHING. This is a first for me. Normally I am really good with NY's resolutions and tend to do them. This year I didn't want to rattle off a list of things I wanted to do/achieve this year but instead narrow it down to one idea.

I found a blog recently written by a guy who encourages people to take one word and apply it to every single area of their life. Spiritually, mentally, physically and socially. He said that resolutions tend to focus on our regrets instead of our destiny. This one word would bring focus to the things that I want to achieve and be this year.

So I have picked a word that stems from a quote that I read:


I don't want to allow life to happen to me. I want to use the power that I have to influence and make the life that I want. If I allow myself to eat crap then the weight will keep piling on. If I allow people to hurt me and frustrate me - then it will keep happening. If I allow myself to believe my personal demon of "You aren't good enough" then I will never be confident in my abilities and I will not grow. There is an element of choice in all things - I may not be able to choose what life throws at me, but I can choose how I deal with it and respond to it.

So what does this have to do with crafting you might say?

I have wanted to grow as a quilter and do more elaborate designs. But I have felt that I wasn't good enough. My seams weren't perfect. I don't know how to do such and such a technique. Excuses. I am too chicken to try because I'm afraid it won't be good enough. Then what a waste of fabric and time that would be. The same goes with any craft. I have dreams - but don't pursue them. How can I expect to grow if I choose to not try? What I have allowed has continued.

So.... my one word which I am going to apply to all things in my life....


So no more "I wish I could do...." - if I wish it, then I should just go ahead and do it! (unless it's illegal!) Who is stopping me but myself?? Who cares if so and so does it better than I do? I need to remember that being creative is about doing what I love and throwing my need to get it right to the wind. I need to have the courage to move forward and not stay stuck doing what I always have. 

So with that in mind - here are some crafty goals I would like to achieve in 2016

  • Play with scripture journaling
  • Further develop my water colour skills.
  • Continue on with "Slash that Stash" and use what I have.
  • Be mentored by a more expert quilters and learn more quilting skills
  • Finish my peacock cross-stitch.
  • Give myself freedom and time to do whatever I want creatively.
  • Continue on with Project Life
  • Finish at least half of my current WIP's and empty a WIP box.
  • When I see a crafty project I want to do - have a go!!!


So here is to 2016 and courage! Cheers!


1 comment:

Amy said...

I think your one word is just perfect.

I often battle with self doubt and worry that I'm not good enough with my creative skills, but I try to remember that I should only be comparing myself to me and no one else.

Everyone started somewhere and we are all learning and perfecting our skill sets at our own space. So whilst we might not be the most perfect quilters we are certainly better than ourselves when we first picked up that rotary cutter and ruler in the beginning.