Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Operation Veggie Patch


This is my "veggie patch". For years I've started and stopped using this space with dreams of growing fruit and veg but the reality was I didn't have the time to invest in it.  So it went to ruin and is over run with grass and nothing else. My lemon tree thrives in the corner as you can see, but everything else is barren.

I want to put some things in there that I use. I'm sick of paying $4 for a small bunch of wilted fresh herbs when I could buy a packet of seeds that cost less than that and have fresh herbs growing in my own yard for me to use at any time. I love fresh berries, but the prices are so expensive! So why not grow some? I love homemade tomato sauce, soup and my big girl eats them like apples! So why not grow a stack? I love making jams and chutneys. I love dehydrating fruit. I would love to have kilos at my disposal.

My mistake in the past is to cover the whole area all at once and then so completely overwhelmed that I can't manage it and then let it go. This time it's going to be different. I'm going to start in one small area and work at that and SLOWLY spread out.

Over the next year I am planning to make this little space a manageable spot with the things that I will use and need growing in it.  Stay tuned!

No comments: